AIMS-NEI is governed by a Board that is responsible for appointing AIMS-NEI staff, selecting new AIMS centres for development, raising and distributing funding for AIMS centres, and reviewing their Annual reports. A number of very distinguished pan-African and international figures have been recruited as members of the AIMS-NEI Board. A subset of them will serve as the legal Trustees of AIMS-NEI.
The following persons have agreed to serve on the Board of Directors of AIMS-NEI:
Prof. Neil Turok (Chair), Director of the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics and former Chair of Mathematical Physics, Cambridge University. Prof. Turok is the Founder of AIMS and currently Chair of the AIMS-South Africa Council and Chair of the Board of AIMS-NEI. Read more
Prof. Francis Allotey, renowned Ghanaian mathematician, President of the African Physical Society, Director of the Institute for Mathematical Sciences (Ghana), Member of the Council at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics (Treiste, Italy), former Pro-Vice Chancellor KNUST, Former Chairman, Ghana Atomic Energy Commission, Former Chairman, Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (Ghana)
Mr Mohammed Gharbi, Former VP and Chief of Staff for three Presidents of the African Development Bank(AfDB), he has an extensive network among donor and development organizations. He specializes in foresight andstrategic planning, as well as capacity–building in the private, public and civil society.
Prof. Russel Botman, Vice Chancellor of the University of Stellenbosch and Vice President of the African Association of Universities.
Prof. Barry Green, Director of AIMS-South Africa and former Head of Mathematical Sciences, Stellenbosch University.
Dr. Howard Alper, Chairman of Canada's Science, Technology and Innovation Council (STIC)
Prof. Keith Moffatt, Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge University, former Director of the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences and President, International Union for Theoretical and Applied Mechanics.
Prof. Fernando Quevedo, Director, International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy and Professor of Theoretical Physics, University of Cambridge, UK.
Prof. Mamadou Sanghare, Director of AIMS-Senegal, former Director of the Mathematical Science and IT Doctoral School at UCAD, Dakar.
The following persons have kindly indicated their willingness to serve as Directors of AIMS-NEI in various capacities:
- HE Paul Boateng, former Chief Secretary to the Treasury, UK and UK High Commissioner to South Africa.
- Michael Duschenes, Chief Operating Officer, Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics.
- Prof. Jean-Pierre Ezin, African Union Commissioner of Human Resources, Science and Technology. Prof. Ezin was founding Director of the Institute for Mathematical and Physical Science (IMPS), Benin, the first example of a pan-African mathematical science institute.
- HE Prof. Romain Murenzi, AAAS fellow and former Presidential Advisor on ICT and former Minister of Education, Rwanda. Professor Murenzi is a former head of mathematics at Clark University (Atlanta) and has taught at AIMS.
- Bridgette Radebe, renowned SA businesswoman and Trustee, MTN Foundation.
- Prof. Vincent Rivasseau, Professor of Physics, Paris-Sud University and President of the Association pour la Promotion Scientifique del’Afrique (APSA).
RECRUIT Africa's Top Talent from AIMS! Learn More